2017 Glenorchy Volunteer Awards
Once again, Glenorchy City Council would like to acknowledge the contribution that volunteers make to the community of Glenorchy by presenting awards at a Volunteer Reception we are expecting to hold during Volunteer Week, 8 –14 May, 2017. These awards were established in 1994 to acknowledge the efforts of volunteers within the community, and to encourage the growth and recognition of volunteering.
Volunteering is any activity, which is freely chosen, is of benefit to the community, and is undertaken without financial reward.
Volunteers are eligible for an award if they live in the Glenorchy local government area or perform their volunteer work within the City of Glenorchy. Volunteer awards are for total effort over the person’s lifetime, not just for the past year.
The Commissioner will present nominated volunteers an award from one of the following categories:
- For 500 (plus) hours of voluntary service
- For 1000 (plus) hours of voluntary service
- For 2000 (plus) hours of voluntary service
- For 5000 (plus) hours of voluntary service
- For 10 000 (plus) hours of voluntary service
- For Committee Contribution. That is special contribution by a committee.
- For Special Contribution Award. Please note this award is based on the following criteria which must be addressed on the relevant nomination form:
- Minimum of 10,000 hours of voluntary contribution
- Volunteer effort must have been made over a period of over 10 years
- Volunteer has, through their efforts, provided great/significant benefit to the organisation/s and to the Glenorchy community
The award will consist of an inscribed certificate.
The contribution that your and other organisations make to volunteer work is acknowledged and appreciated. However, this award is aimed at highlighting the contributions made by individuals within the organisation, and we hope you are willing to be used as the initial contact to access individual volunteers.
We will give a brief description of each volunteer’s contribution as they walk to the stage to receive their award. Please use the enclosed nomination form to provide key information. If nominating for the Special Contribution Award, please provide detailed information on the relevant enclosed nomination form. Please only list one nomination on each form.
We realise volunteers do not necessarily keep track of their hours, and a rough estimate of the total amount of volunteer hours ever worked (either with your own or any other agency or individuals) is all that is required.
Volunteers who have received an award at any of the ceremonies from 1994 – 2016 are eligible to be renominated, if they have moved into a different category.
Publicity, both before and after the event, will be undertaken to increase community awareness of Volunteering.
If you would like to nominate a volunteer or volunteers from your organisation for an award, please complete and return the enclosed nomination form/s. Please return nomination forms to me by Monday 10 April, 2017. Invitations providing further details of the ceremony will be sent to nominees in the mail once nominations have closed.
Nomination form for special award
Please feel free to contact me on 6216 6791 for further information.