Glenorchy to host Queen’s Baton Relay for Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018)
Glenorchy City Council is excited that the City of Glenorchy has been chosen as a celebration community for the GC2018 Queen’s Baton Relay in February next year as part of its journey around Australia.
The Queen’s Baton Relay is a Games tradition that celebrates the Commonwealth’s diversity, inspires community pride and excites people about the world-class festival of sports and culture to come. The Queen’s Baton carries a message from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II that calls the Commonwealth’s athletes to come together in peaceful and friendly competition. The GC2018 Queen’s Baton Relay will be the longest in history and the most accessible ever, not just passing through, but spending quality time in each community it visits.
A Batonbearer will share the dream and carry with pride the spirit of the Games embracing the diversity and values of the Commonwealth. They will inspire others with their passion and commitment to sport and community and be excited to represent and promote the Commonwealth Games.
Batonbearer nomination and selection criteria
The nomination and selection criteria has been established to ensure fairness, equity, and that a wide cross section of the community are given the opportunity to carry the Queen’s Baton.
Organisers are looking for people of all abilities to share the dream and become a Batonbearer for the GC2018 Queen’s Baton Relay.
A Batonbearer is someone who meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Has achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary.
- Has made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community.
- Has excelled, or aspires to excel athletically or personally.
- Contributes to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community.
Other eligibility rules:
- The minimum age of a Batonbearer is 10 years old as at 25 December 2017 (start date of the Relay in Australia).
- All nominees must be Australian Citizens or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).
- A nominator is to explain in 100 words or less how the nominee meets one or more of the Batonbearer criteria and why they should become a Batonbearer.
The deadline for nominations to be submitted is 11:59pm AEST on Monday 15 May 2017. For further information or to nominate someone, go to gc2018.com/qbr