Cultural Diversity Committee
Glenorchy City Council established the Glenorchy Cultural Diversity Advisory Committee as a special committee of Council in March 2003.
The role of the Committee is to provide advice to Glenorchy City Council and have input into decisions that affect residents from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Through this committee, the Council seeks to:
- Promote tolerance, understanding and respect between all members of the community.
- Develop projects, which promote tolerance and understanding in the community.
- Acknowledge the contribution made by migrants.
- Provide a forum for culturally diverse communities to raise concerns within the City of Glenorchy.
The Cultural Diversity Advisory Committee is made up of community members representing the culturally diverse communities in Glenorchy. Currently there are 12 committee members representing the Croatian, German, Italian, Philippine, Indian, Bhutanese, Serbian, Ethiopian, Sudanese, Congolese, Sierra Leone and Lithuanian communities.
Members are available to present cultural awareness presentations to local schools and organisations. Feedback from students who have taken part in the workshops has been very positive:
You can contact the Cultural Diversity Advisory Committee via the Community Development Officer by:
- Phoning the Community Development Officers on (03) 6216 6780
- Coming in person to the Glenorchy Council Monday to Friday (please ring first to make sure an Officer is available to meet with you). 1st Floor, Glenorchy City Council, 374 Main Road, Glenorchy
- or by contacting us.