Animal Management Building Council Works Economic Development Environmental Health Maps and Spatial Data
Planning and Heritage Plumbing Rates Roads & Council Property Sport & Recreation Facilities Waste Management Payments

Boundary Fences GuidelinesThe City Assets Department has a regular allocation in its budget to share in the cost of fencing as and when required.


This information explains the circumstances in which Council will share the cost of boundary fences with adjoining property owners.


  1. What is the Authority Controlling fences Between Boundaries?
    The Boundary Fences Act 1908 defines the circumstances under which adjoining owners may be held responsible to share the cost of fencing between properties.  It is pointed out that Council is not responsible to enforce the Boundary Fences Act 1908.  It is a civil matter to be resolved between both owners.
  2. Can Council be Held Responsible to Share the Cost of Boundary Fences?
    Under the Boundary Fences Act 1908 Council is responsible to share the cost of fences, other than when the Council owned land is a roadway which includes a public highway, street, right of way, footway, reserve or public place, whether it be an access, horse way or footway.  However, and notwithstanding the provisions of the Boundary Fences Act 1908, Council policy provides for contributions to be made where private land adjoins a Council owned reserve or access to that reserve.
  3. In What Situation Does Council Share the Costs of Boundary Fences?
    Where the property adjoins a Council owned house, building or reserve the Council will share the cost of fencing on the boundary.
  4. What is the Procedure to Request Council to Contribute to a Bounday Fence Which Borders on Council Land?
    The first step is to obtain two (2) written quotes for the erection of a 1.5 metre high hardwood, lapped paling fence with steel posts set in concrete. This is the standard of fence adopted by Council and is consistent in residential areas.
    (A specification drawing is available from the City Assets Office.)

    You must submit the two (2) quotes to the Council's City Assets Department together with details of your name, address and the boundary to be fenced.

    A council officer will then inspect the fence line to ensure that a new fence is warranted and assess whether the quotes are realistic.  A letter outlining Council’s decision, and the amount of the contribution to be paid, will be sent to you within a day or so.

    If approved you will be advised which quote is acceptable and that you may arrange, at your convenience, to have the fence erected.

    Should you wish to engage another contractor or adopt a higher standard of fence, the additional cost will be your responsibility.


    Do not arrange for any fencing work to be undertaken before you have received Council's approval. Council will not contribute to fences that have been erected before approval is received, regardless of the circumstances.

    On completion of the fence, you must contact Council's City Assets Department so that a final inspection of the fence can be made. Provided the standard of construction is satisfactory, payment of Council’s contribution, into your bank account, will be authorised.

    It will be necessary for you to complete an EFT Application Form containing your bank account number.

For further details you can contact the City Assets Department on telephone 6216 6739 or use the form below or if you require legal advice it is suggested you discuss the matter with your solicitor or contact the Law Society on 6234 4133.