Animal Management Building Council Works Economic Development Environmental Health Maps and Spatial Data
Planning and Heritage Plumbing Rates Roads & Council Property Sport & Recreation Facilities Waste Management Payments

Glenorchy Interim Planning Scheme 2015

The Glenorchy Interim Planning Scheme 2015 sets out the way land can be used and developed within Glenorchy.  The Scheme is on the State Government’s iplan website which works best in the Google Chrome or Firefox browser.
The State Government’s Iplan system including LISTmap is the legal electronic database version of the scheme under planning legislation.  However Council’s interactive webmap has extra information such as maps of heritage listed places and specific properties referenced in the planning scheme by their Certificate of Title. Please access the webmap here.
You can also get information on the zoning of the land you are interested in and whether any overlays (such as biodiversity or inundation hazards) apply to the land through the ‘My planning enquiry’ module on the iplan website.  Please be aware that not all codes are mapped (such as bushfire-prone areas) and other matters such as car parking and stormwater management requirements appear in other codes in the planning scheme.


Please contact Council’s Planning Services Area on (03) 6216 6800 if you have an enquiry about planning permit requirements under the new Scheme.



When is a planning permit required?


A planning permit application is required for many types of use and development of land as set out in the Glenorchy Interim Planning Scheme 2015


If you are buying or leasing a property, make sure it can be used for the purpose that you want it for.  Do not assume that you can start a business on a property just because there is already a business operating there.  Also, do not assume that a planning permit application is not required simply because there are no building works proposed.


Planning permits and building permits are different.  Planning mainly deals with the impacts of a proposal on the land and the surrounding area.  Planning is a separate process from building, and you may require approvals under both processes.  Each process requires a separate application.  Our planning Fact Sheets provide more information on planning permits and the differences between planning and building approval.



New controls for Change of Use to Visitor Accommodation
The State Government has made changes to planning and building requirements for a change of use to Visitor Accommodation. There are now some exemptions for Visitor Accommodation under the Glenorchy Interim Planning Scheme 2015, and a new process for ‘Permitted’ applications.  However some applications may be ‘Discretionary’ and need to be advertised.  Speak to the Council’s duty planner for more information.  The State’s website (link: ) also has information about the process.


The Visitor Accommodation Permitted Application Package and Forms, includes a form for ‘permitted’ planning applications and a ‘Building Self- Assessment’ form.



Lodging an application


The scheme is ‘performance based’ so if you need a planning permit you need to show how you are meeting the objectives of the Planning Scheme.  The information checklist below will help you prepare and lodge your planning permit application. 


As part of your application you will need to complete the Application Form, provide the land owners consent, if you are not the land owner, and pay fees.  Planning fees are listed in the planning services section of the fees register


Use of Crown land
If the proposal requires use of Crown land you must include consent from the Minister responsible for the administration of the Crown Land.  The Department of State Growth has more information on how to make a request and a form you will need to use to gain Crown land consent.


Amending a permit
If you wish to amend your approved plans or any other minor component of your approval, then you will need to complete and submit a form to Council requesting a minor amendment to the planning permit.  Information on amending an existing planning permit is included in the Fact Sheet – Minor Amendments to an Existing Planning Permit.


  • Application form to amend a permit


When does an application need advertising?


Planning permit applications are either ‘permitted’ which means that Council must grant a permit, with or without conditions, or ‘discretionary’, which means the application must be advertised and Council will decide to either grant a permit with or without conditions, or refuse the application.


Advertising a ‘discretionary’ application involves:

  • A notice in the newspaper
  • Notices put up at each public frontage of the land
  • Notices to each adjoining owner and occupier of land.


How long does it take to assess an application?

There are set timeframes for deciding permitted and discretionary applications under the planning legislation (the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993).  We also have a Fact Sheet on Timeframes for Deciding Permitted and Discretionary Applications.


Fact sheets

The planning scheme has rules for use and development, such as setback and height limits and what you need to consider if you want to run a business from home.  You can get more information on the most common types of use and development from our Fact Sheets via the link on the left side of this page. 


We also have Fact Sheets on some common question such as lodging a representation or appeal, amending or extending an existing planning permit, and unlawful use or development.

If you need more information, please contact Council’s Planning Services Area on (03) 6216 6800.


A single planning scheme for Tasmania


The State Government is developing a single State-wide planning scheme that will replace the interim planning scheme.  More information on Tasmanian Planning Reform and the Draft State Planning Provisions is available on the Tasmanian Planning Commission website.