Invest in Glenorchy
Glenorchy offers the investment opportunity of choice in Southern Tasmania.
Located 8 kilometres north of the Hobart CBD, the City of Glenorchy covers an area of about 126 square kilometres. Mount Wellington to the west and the River Derwent to the east provide post card picture backdrops to the City's residential and commercial areas.
Some of the reasons for you to consider investing in Glenorchy are:
- It is the manufacturing, transport, warehousing and distribution hub for Southern Tasmania;
- It is the home to the Prince of Wales Bay Marine Precinct and the Tasmanian Technopark;
- Glenorchy is ideally located 10 minutes from the Hobart CBD, 20 minutes from Hobart Airport and is linked by excellent road and rail networks;
- It has a dynamic and changing economic base founded on a large supply of serviced industrial lands (over 400 ha) and commercial lands (over 60 ha);
Some of the global and national businesses located in Glenorchy include:
- Nyrstar – the world's largest zinc metal producer
- Incat – builder of world class catamarans for commercial and Defence Force use
- Cadbury – making chocolate for the world at its Claremont factory
- Bunnings - Australia's leading retailer of home improvement and outdoor living products
- Betfair – the world’s largest online betting company
- K&D Warehouse – part of the 700 store Mitre10 network
- Moorilla – home of fine wines, The Source Restaurant, Moo Brew and MONA
- Impact Fertilisers – Tasmania’s leader in fertiliser production
- Moonraker - providing communications systems to professional, military and leisure users
Industrial activity is concentrated mainly within Derwent Park, Moonah and Austins Ferry, with retail and services spread through the City and major precincts in Moonah, Derwent Park, Glenorchy and Claremont.
Council works with the State and Federal Governments and the business community to attract, promote, expand and maintain investment and business opportunities in the City.