Animal Management Building Council Works Economic Development Environmental Health Maps and Spatial Data
Planning and Heritage Plumbing Rates Roads & Council Property Sport & Recreation Facilities Waste Management Payments


Service DescriptionThe management of traffic on the road network within the City of Glenorchy is shared between the Transportation Section of the Glenorchy City Council and the State Government Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER).


Most of the roads in Glenorchy are owned and maintained by Glenorchy City Council.  However, the State Government owns and maintains the Brooker Highway and Goodwood Main Road.  Any enquiries to the roads should be directed to DIER.


There are a number of government programs that are operational in Glenorchy that assist in providing a safer road environment.  These include:

Traffic Signals
DIER are also responsible for the installation and maintenance of traffic signals.  If you have any enquiry about the operation of traffic signals or to report a fault please phone 1300 139 933 (DIER – Traffic Signals).

Linemarking & Signage
DIER are responsible for the installation of road line marking and the provision of regulatory signs (with the exception of lines and signs related to car parking).  Any issues relating to the need for new line marking or signage or the maintenance of existing signs and lines should be referred to the Traffic Engineer (6216 6349 or use the contact form at the bottom of this page) who will pass it onto DIER.

Traffic Calming
Traffic calming involves the use of physical devices, streetscaping treatments and other measures to influence vehicle operation in order to create safer and more liveable local streets.


Council are developing a traffic management strategy for the City of Glenorchy which will include a set of guidelines for the investigation of public requests for the installation of traffic calming devices.

In the meantime, if you are interested in discussing traffic calming measurers please call 6216 6349 or use the contact form at the bottom of this page.

Street Lighting
Council's street lighting system illuminates footpaths and some roads and intersections.  Aurora Energy maintains the street lighting and arranges for replacement of bulbs when required.


Street lights that are not working should be reported to Aurora Energy on telephone 132004.


If you have a request to modify or install new street lights please call 6216 6720 or use the contact form at the bottom of this page.

Roads Closures for Works or Special Events
The Glenorchy City Council has the authority to close local roads for the purposes of conducting special events or to facilitate construction activities.


For more information on temporary road closures please contact the Traffic Engineer on 6216 6349 use the contact form at the bottom of this page.

Related Links

Department of Infrastructure, Energy & Resources (DIER)

Have your say

If you wish to discuss traffic management in Glenorchy please contact the Traffic Engineer on 6216 6349. 

You can also contact us via our contact form.