Animal Management Building Council Works Economic Development Environmental Health Maps and Spatial Data
Planning and Heritage Plumbing Rates Roads & Council Property Sport & Recreation Facilities Waste Management Payments

 ***Please Be Advised***

New Building Act 2016
The Tasmanian State Government is preparing new building & plumbing legislation which is (currently) scheduled to be introduced on the 1 January 2017.

As a result, the information contained on this website may become out-of-date as the new legislation commences.

GCC will endeavour to update this information as the new laws and requirements become clear.
For further information on the progress of these legislative changes, please visit the Department of Justice website via the following link;



What Requires Plumbing Permits


Please contact Council on 6216 6800 for instruction on determining if a plumbing permit will be required before proceeding with any work.



When is a Plumbing Permit required.

A. A Plumbing Permit is required in all instances where plumbing work is not exempt from the requirements of the Tasmanian Plumbing Regulations 2004. Work that is exempt from a plumbing permit is work as described below:

Certain plumbing and plumbing work exempt

      (1)In this regulation –

"exempt plumbing work" means –

(a) plumbing work that is not solely for the purposes of repairing a fire service; or

(b) plumbing work that is not the subject of a special plumbing permit.

      (2) These regulations, other than Parts 1, 2 and 7 and regulations 35, 37, 39, 41 and 47, do not apply in relation to obtaining a permit under section 75 of the Act for the carrying out of exempt plumbing work or plumbing work to repair a plumbing installation if –

(a) the work is limited to the repair or replacement of any part of a water supply system which has a nominal pipe diameter no greater than DN 20 millimetres, a sewerage installation or a stormwater system; and

(b)the work –

(i) is located above ground; and

(ii) is readily visible when the repair or replacement is complete; and

(iii) does not impair any of the building’s prescribed essential safety and health features or measures; and

(iv) does not impair the health and amenity of the occupants of the building with which the work is associated; and

(v) complies with the Tasmanian Plumbing Code.

      (3)A plumber may relocate or replace an existing fixture or appliance without a plumbing permit, if –

(a) the fixture or appliance remains in the same room; and

(b)the work  –

(i) does not adversely alter the existing installation; and

(ii) does not have a water supply with a pipe size greater than DN 20 millimetres; and

(iii) does not form part of a fire service; and

(iv) does not impair the building's prescribed essential safety and health features or measures; and

(v) does not impair the health and amenity of the occupants of the building associated with the work; and

(vi) complies with the Tasmania Plumbing Code.

      (4)A plumber may clear a drain to remove a blockage without a plumbing permit if –

(a) it is carried out through openings designed for that purpose; and

(b) the relevant regulated entity or council is notified within 3 days after the blockage is cleared.