Register a Food Business

To sell food in Tasmania you need a licence, whether you have a fixed premises, a business that moves around (such as a food van), or a temporary food business.

Glenorchy City Council has many tools and resources that can help you in setting up a food business, so please contact us if you want to know more.

Restaurant or other building

If you want to sell food from a building in the Glenorchy area, you need to apply for a fixed premises licence and pay a fee.

Please note that:

  • Our licence fees change each year, and you only pay for the days left in the year. We will let you know what the registration fee is when you apply to register your food business
  • We also need to inspect your kitchen. Please contact us to organise a time.
  • If you want to build a new kitchen, we have some helpful advice in our food business construction guide (PDF)
  • If you are taking over an existing business that sells food, it is a good idea to get us to have a look before you buy. There is a fee, but it could save you money because we will tell you if there are any problems. When you buy a business that sells food, these problems will become your problem.
  • Whether you are taking over an existing food business, you will need to fill in our application forms because you can't use the old food business licence.

Mobile food business

To register a mobile food business, you need to apply for a licence and pay a fee.

Please note that:

  • If you have a business that moves around, such as a food van or a food stall, you need to contact your home council, which is the council area where you store your food and cooking equipment.
  • If this is in the Glenorchy area, we will need to inspect your setup. Please contact us to organise a time.

Temporary food business

If you are having a barbeque to raise money for your sports team or charity on a given day, or a market or event that runs for a few weeks or even months, you need to apply for a short-term licence and pay a fee.

For information on how to set up your temporary food business, you can view the Department of Health and Human Service’s stall and equipment guide (external link).