Glenorchy City Council has commenced an exciting project to transform the Glenorchy central business district (CBD). The main focus of this project is the section of Main Road between Terry Street and Barry Street.
A design concept of GCC Main Road is available here (PDF).
STAGE 3 (Main Road - Terry St to Barry St) - This final, main stage of works is broken up into three separate stages, across three financial years:
- Stage 3A - Terry St to Tolosa St (February 2019 to June 2019);
- Stage 3B - Tolosa St to Regina St (July 2019 to June 2020);
- Stage 3C - Regina St to Barry St (July 2020 to June 2021).
Project Update August 2019
STAGE 3A is well underway with the first stage completed at the end of July. The first section of works saw the upgrade of the forecourt area in front of Chambers, along with a renewed Main Rd between Terry/Peltro Streets, and Tolosa Street - these works included:
- New kerb and crosswalk ramps;
- Redesigned garden beds to accommodate the existing and new trees;
- New pre-cast seating blocks with wooden seat inserts, the inclusion of power outlets, USB charging ports as well as some recessed lighting within the seats;
- New paving for the entire area;
- The addition of another bike-rack;
- The addition of two new access parking bays;
- A new garden bed and seating outside The Paddy Wagon Hotel;
- Tie-in of the Peltro Street cycle link into the new footpath;
- Upgraded lighting with new, efficient LED globes; and
- Reduction of traffic lanes at intersections, with wider footpaths, to reduce traffic volumes and traffic speeds.
Stage 1 - (Peltro St Cycle Link) - is now complete and ties into the northern side of Stage 3A now that this is complete.
Stage 2 - (O'Brien's Bridge to Barry St) - is also complete. The new footpath/paving design in this section carries over into all other sections of work creating a seamless design pattern for the entire CBD project area.
As the project continues to progress, further updates will be placed on Council's website, Facebook page, and the Glenorchy Gazette.