Glenorchy City Council currently has underway an exciting project to transform the Glenorchy central business district (CBD). The main focus of this project is the section of Main Road between Terry Street and Barry Street.
A design concept of GCC Main Road is available here (PDF).
A breakdown of each stage of work is available here (PDF)
STAGE 3 (Main Road - Terry St to Barry St) - This final, main stage of works is broken up into three separate stages, across three financial years:
- Stage 3A - Terry St to Tolosa St (February 2019 to June 2019);
- Stage 3B - Tolosa St to Regina St (July 2019 to June 2020);
- Stage 3C - Regina St to Barry St (July 2020 to June 2021).
Project Update May 2020
STAGES 1, 2, 3A & 3B – are now complete as of May 2020. These stages of work saw the upgrade of the forecourt area in front of Chambers, and an upgraded Main Rd between Terry/Peltro Streets, and Regina St - these works included:
- New kerb and crosswalk ramps;
- Redesigned garden beds to accommodate the existing and new trees;
- New pre-cast seating with wooden seat inserts, the inclusion of power outlets, USB charging ports as well as some recessed lighting within the seats;
- New paving for the entire area;
- The addition of another bike-rack;
- The addition of three new access parking bays; and
- New garden bed and seating outside The Paddy Wagon Hotel;
- Tie-in of the Peltro Street cycle link into the new footpath;
- Upgraded lighting with new, efficient LED globes;
- New median strip with additional trees;
- Safety bollards along median strip and at main Tolosa/Main Rd intersection;
- New raised table intersection at Tolosa/Main Rd to reduce traffic speeds and allow safer and more accessible pedestrian traffic across this main intersection; and
- Reduction of traffic lanes at intersections, with wider footpaths, to reduce traffic volumes and traffic speeds.
Stage 3C – Final Stage of Work
This final stage will provide the following:
- Another raised-table intersection at Regina St & Main Rd., designed to allow safe, pedestrian access at one level from footpath to roadway;
- Raised table pedestrian crossing at Main Rd/Barry St intersection;
- Approach ramps to each intersection entry, to create a traffic-calming environment;
- Paved intersection instead of asphalt to retain the paving design look throughout the entirety of the CBD;
- New garden bed, tree and seating;
- New steps and access ramp along Northgate frontage/footpath area;
- Continuation of the median strip along Main Rd with new tree plantings;
- Safety bollards along median strip;
- Removal of taxi rank along this section and relocating further, south along the Main Rd;