Glenorchy City Council is committed to maintaining vibrant and confident commercial cores in our CBD areas of Claremont, Glenorchy and Moonah. Industrial activity is concentrated mainly within Derwent Park, Moonah and Austins Ferry.
Businesses invest in our City because it:
- Is the manufacturing, transport, warehousing and distribution hub for southern Tasmania.
- Is home to the Prince of Wales Bay Marine Precinct and the Tasmanian Technopark.
- Is ideally located 10 minutes drive from the Hobart CBD and 20 minutes drive from Hobart International Airport.
- Is linked by excellent road networks and has close access to the Brighton-based Tasmanian Intermodal Transport Hub (external site).
- Has a dynamic and changing economic base founded on a large supply of serviced industrial and commercial areas. These areas can be viewed at iPlan Tasmania (external site).
In addition, Glenorchy’s commercial and industrial areas are fully serviced by the National Broadband Network (NBN). More details of this, including a roll-out map, are available on the NBN website (external site).
Traditionally the manufacturing heart of Tasmania, the City is experiencing increased diversification across industry sectors. We are home to an extensive range of professional services to support business growth and development. These include business incubation, banking, graphic design, engineering, technical, technology and science based services.
The City has several key industries:
High-tech and digital innovation
Glenorchy is the home of the Tasmanian Technopark.
Devoted to developing, supporting and marketing internationally competitive technology and innovation-based industry in Tasmania for the local and global markets, the park’s businesses include:
- PML – Print Mail Logistics
- Tasmanian Institute of Sport (TIS)
The Technopark offers accommodation options to suit a range of businesses – from complete, self-contained, client-owned buildings to leased accommodation, including a business incubator.
Located on an exclusive headland overlooking the River Derwent, the Technopark’s 5-hectare site is 15 minutes from the Hobart city centre and 20 minutes from the Hobart International Airport.
For further information or to make an inquiry, please visit the Department of State Growth Tasmania (external site).
Manufacturing and industry
Glenorchy has long been the industrial hub of southern Tasmania; home to some of the state’s biggest international exporters:
- Nyrstar Hobart Zinc Smelter
- Mondelez International (Cadbury)
In the area of Prince of Wales Bay, we host world-leading international exporters in the maritime and defence industries:
- Taylor Brothers
- Liferaft Systems Tasmania
- CBG Systems
For more information on support and growth of our industrial and manufacturing sectors, please see the Tasmanian Department of State Growth (external site).
For more information on the areas in our municipality that are zoned industrial or light industrial, go to iPlan Tasmania (external site).
Arts, tourism and culture
Glenorchy’s cultural economy has flourished in recent years – with a growing emphasis on the thriving arts and tourism sectors.
Our community envisions our City’s future as an exciting and vibrant hub for arts and culture, forging a reputation as a leading tourism destination both nationally and internationally.
We are proud to be home to:
- Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) (external site)
- Moonah Arts Centre (external site)
- GASP! (external site)
- Derwent Entertainment Centre (external site)
- Elwick Functions and Events at the Tattersalls Racecourse (external site)
- Tasmanian Transport Museum (external site)
- Royal Agricultural Society of Tasmania (external site)
Community Services & Aged Care
The City is proud of its diverse multicultural community; the area of Moonah is one of Tasmania’s most ethnically diverse communities. Combined with the advantage of large areas of flat land, close to services, the City of Glenorchy is the place of choice for aged care and community care providers such as:
- Migrant Resource Centre
- One Care
- Aveo Derwent Waters
- Hobart District Nursing
- St Johns Ambulance
- Community-based Support South
- Independent Health Care Service
Open for business
The City of Glenorchy is a place where new and existing businesses can establish and flourish. We aim to enable investment across a range of sectors and deliver projects and activities to support economic growth within the municipality. Our Economic Development team encourages business diversity, innovation and new technologies, helping stimulate jobs, creativity and collaboration.
If you are interested in investing through a business, there are a range of services, support, grants and loans available through the Tasmanian Department of State Growth; take a look at current services and support (external site).
For any economic development or investment queries, please contact us.