Place of Assembly

If you are holding a public event, you may need to get a Place of Assembly Licence. The licence is required when the event is expected to have 1000 people or more and will go for 2 or more hours.

If you operate an event without the appropriate licences you may be issued with a fine and/or you may risk prosecution in a Magistrates Court.

More information about the legislation that covers a Place of Assembly Licence is set out in the Public Health Act 1997 (external link).

Apply for a Place of Assembly Licence

To apply for a licence, you need to fill in an application form and pay a fee.

View the Place of Assembly application form (PDF).

View the Schedule of Fees and Changes document (PDF).

Along with the form you may need to include the following:

  • A site plan showing:
  • the site
  • the location and size of all structures including temporary structures (e.g. marquees, jumping castles, temporary stands, food vans and stalls)
  • sanitary facilities
  • proposed car parking.


  • Smoke Free Management Plan (see more information about smoke free events below)
  • Traffic Management Plan
  • Temporary Occupancy Permit (see below)
  • Toilet facilities (see below)


If your event is on land owned by Glenorchy Council you will need to visit the Events on Council Land page.

Smoke free events

Under the Public Health Act 1997, all Place of Assembly events must be ‘smoke free’. If your event is not a Place of Assembly but falls within the list of ‘smoke free’ events required by the Director you must make sure your event is smoke free.

You can access the Smoke Free Management Plan template and further information in the Department of Health and Human Services page (external link).

Temporary Occupancy Permit

A Temporary Occupancy Permit for the use of temporary structures may be required as part of the Place of Assembly Licence. Temporary structures include tents, marquees, temporary stage, temporary seating structure, temporary platform or temporary tower.

Find out more information about Temporary Occupancy Permits page.

Temporary food registration

If food will be for sale at the event, temporary food registration will be required.

See more information about temporary food licences on our food business registration page.

Toilet facilities

You must make sure that there are enough toilets at your event for the expected crowd. You will need to tell us how many toilets and/or urinals you have for males and females, and how many accessible toilet facilities you will provide.

As a guide, you can assume half the expected persons will be male and the other half female, unless there are mitigating circumstances.

To work out how many toilets you will need, take the number of males and females expected at any given time and use the following tables. 

Toilet facilities for events where alcohol IS NOT available

   Male  Female
 Patrons  WC  Urinals  Hand Basins  WC  Hand Basins
 <500 1 2
 <1000  2  4  4  9  4
 <2000  4  8  6  12  6
 <3000  6  15  10  18  10
 <5000  8  25  17  30  17
>5000  Please discuss requirements with Council 

Toilet facilities for events where alcohol IS available

Male Female
Patrons WC Urinals Hand Basins WC Hand Basins
<500 3 8 2 13 2
<1000 5 10 4 16 4
<2000 9 15 7 18 7
<3000 10 20 14 22 14
<5000 12 30 20 40 20
>5000 Please discuss requirements with Council

Timing of licence applications

To make sure we can assess your application properly, the information must be given to us within the below timeframes:

 Requirement  Timeframe
 Place of Assembly (special event) application form and prescribed fee  Minimum 8 weeks before to the event
  Event Management Plan (if required)  Minimum 6 weeks before to the event
 Food business applications  Minimum 4 weeks before to the event
Temporary Occupancy Permit  Minimum 3 weeks before to the event

If we don’t receive the information within the above timeframes, you will be charged a late fee or your application may be refused.

More information is available in our Event Management Policy (PDF).