Environmental Nuisances

Environmental nuisances include things that affect all aspects of the environment. We investigate complaints about environmental nuisances under Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 (external link) and Local Government Act 1993 (external link) acts.

A nuisance under the EMPCA can be anything that unreasonably interferes with your enjoyment of your environment. It includes things such as:

  • noise – e.g music, power tools, heat pumps etc.
  • odour
  • smoke – e.g. wood-heater smoke, incinerators or burning off
  • litter.

Reporting an environmental nuisance

A nuisance under the Local Government Act includes anything that:
  • is, or might be, a danger or harm to the health, safety or welfare of the public
  • is, or might cause, a risk to public health
  • causes excessive levels of noise or pollution
  • is, or might be, a fire risk
  • an unsightly article or rubbish.

Reporting an environmental nuisance

You can contact us to let us know if you think an environmental nuisance is happening. We will investigate your complaint if you:
  • Provide your contact details (name, phone number, address)
  • Let us know the address the nuisance is coming from
  • Provide enough detail about the nuisance
  • Tell us how the nuisance is impacting on your enjoyment of the environment
  • Tell us the steps you have taken to work it out before getting Council involved – some people are not aware that they are causing you a problem. A simple chat to your neighbour may work the issue out.

To report a nuisance, phone (03) 6216 6800 or email gccmail@gcc.tas.gov.au

More information

For more information regarding environmental nuisances please: