Glenorchy City Council can look into complaints about people dumping rubbish under the Litter Act 2007 (external link).

If you see someone dumping rubbish or you find a pile of dumped litter, please contact us so we can investigate and try to work out who dumped it.

We ask that you provide the following information:
  • your contact details (name, phone number, address)
  • the location of the rubbish
  • any extra details (i.e. number plates, time, witness accounts).


You can report littering by phone on (03) 6216 6800 or email

If we find evidence as to who dumped the rubbish we can give that person a fine or even prosecute them in Court. We may require you to complete a Statutory Declaration as evidence if the matter goes to Court.

Council cannot act on littering from cars (i.e cigarette butts, wrappers etc). If you want to make a complaint about someone littering from their car you can contact the Environmental Protection Authority and Report the Littering (external link).


More information

For offences and penalties or further information regarding littering please, more information is available in the Litter Act 2007 (external link).