Official Witnesses and Signatures

We can assist if you need a signature from either a Justice of the Peace or a Commissioner for Declarations.

Commissioner for Declarations

Commissioners can do some of the same duties as Justices of the Peace. They can witness signatures to documents and take statutory declarations but they can’t administer, take or receive either an oath, affidavit or affirmation, and they can’t receive a complaint or issue a summons or a warrant.

If you need the service of a Commissioner of Declarations, you can visit our office and ask at the Customer Service counter.

Justice of the Peace

A Justice of the Peace (JP) acts as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes like:

  • taking an affidavit for use in court
  • taking a statutory declaration
  • certifying a true copy of an original document
  • witnessing wills
  • witnessing applications for probate
  • certifying a person’s identity.

A JP is available at our offices every Monday between 10am and 2pm (excluding public holidays), and appointments are not necessary.

There is a Tasmanian Justice of the Peace Society website (external link) which lists contact details for JP’s across the state.