Tasmanian building legislation dictates that certain types of building work cannot be undertaken without the required approvals and/or permits being first obtained.
Before you consider building, demolishing or altering a house, shed, deck etc. we strongly recommend that you consult with either a Private Building Surveyor or one of our Building Officers to determine whether any approval is required.
If you do need to apply for a building permit from Council, please note:
Lodging an Application
- Applications must be submitted on either a CD, DVD or via email to email@example.com. USB submissions will not be accepted.
- All documentation (as applicable) on the application checklist must be included in the submission.
- Application forms must be completed and submitted with your application; they may be Building Permit (PDF), Notice of Work (PDF) or Plumbing Permit (PDF)
- All documentation should be in PDF format.
- All documentation, CDs or DVDs should be clearly identified/named with the address of the building work and the name of the agent/contact person for the work.
- Do not include links to websites, or jpeg, tif, etc formats.
- Applications will not be processed until all required information and fees have been received.
- Applications that cannot be submitted in the above format may incur additional processing fees or be refused.
Please Note: Applications can still be submitted to us in paper (hard copy) format. However, these applications must contain copies of each relevant document listed on the application checklist (PDF).
Building plans must be included in your application. These plans must be prepared by a designer or an architect who is accredited with Building Standards and Occupational Licensing, and they must be approved by a building surveyor. If the value ($) of your project is certified to be less than $5000 you may be able to draw your own plans.
Application fees will be calculated after successful submission of your application, based on our Schedule of fees (PDF).
Invoices will then be forwarded to the contact/s provided in the application.
After payment has been confirmed, your applications will commence being processed.
Changes to Permits
Once you have received approval it is possible to get a variation. Before you make any changes you should first consult with your building surveyor and Council’s officers. Some variations may not require consent from Council.
Once you have completed your building, you will need to finalise your application. Our building section is usually able to assist/guide you in finalising applications. To speak with one of our building officers to discuss the specifics of your property, please contact us.