For further information, please check the Director’s Determinations – Categories of Plumbing Work (external site).
A summary of these categories can be seen below:
- Category 1 – Low risk work that can be undertaken by an owner.
- Category 2A – Low risk work that can be undertaken by a licenced plumber.
- Category 2B – Low risk work that can be undertaken by a licenced plumber with notification to Council on completion of work.
- Category 3 – Notifiable plumbing work. Work in this category cannot start until a Notice of Work and a design of the proposed work has been received by the Council. Upon receipt of a valid Notice of Work we will issue a Certificate of Likely Compliance (Plumbing Work) (CLC). Inspection of the work will be done in stages, which have been set out in the CLC as Mandatory Notification Stages. Work should not proceed past the Mandatory Notification Stage until permitted by Council.
- Category 4 – Plumbing work that requires a Plumbing Permit. Work in this category cannot start until a Plumbing Permit and a Certificate of Likely Compliance (Plumbing Work) (CLC) has been issued by the Council. Inspections will be conducted in stages, and work cannot proceed until each Mandatory Notification Stage passes inspection by Council Surveyor.
Before you do any form of plumbing work, we recommend that you review the Director's Determination - Categories of Plumbing Work or consult with Council to discuss any approvals that may be required for your work.