Dog registration

All dogs in Tasmania over the age of six months are legally required to be registered.

If your dog is registered and gets lost or impounded, Council animal management staff, vets or welfare agencies will easily be able to reunite your dog with you.

Important points about registration

You must remember to renew your dog’s registration by 31 July each year (and keep a copy of your receipt). Other points to note are:

  • you must register any dog that is aged 6 months or over.
  • your dog must wear a collar with its registration disc attached whenever it is in a public place.
  • you must not conceal or dispose of a dog to evade registration of the dog.
  • both the old and new owner of a dog must advise Council of any change of ownership of the dog within 14 days.
  • you must also notify Council within 14 days if a dog dies, is lost, or moves to another municipal area.
Dog category 

Standard Fee (ex GST)
(if paid before 31 July)

Overdue Fee (ex GST)
(if paid after 31 July)
 Non-Desexed $91.00   $129.00

 Non-Desexed (Concession) *

 $64.50  $90.00
 Desexed  $43.00  $96.00
 Desexed (Concession) *  $31.00  $67.50
 Working Dog **  $91.00  $129.00
Guide and Hearing Dog ***  No Fee  No Fee

* - Concession Fee eligibility is on production of a Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card, Repatriation Health Card or Health Care Card.

** - Working dog owners must satisfy that the dog is a bona fide working dog pursuant to the Dog Control Act 2000.

*** - Guide and Hearing Dogs as defined by the Guide to Dogs and Hearing Dogs Act 1967.

Please note: these fees will be reviewed in March 2021 and will increase before renewals in July 2021 are due.

How to register your dog

To register your dog, please fill in a dog registration form. You can get a form from Council’s Customer Service Centre at 374 Main Road, Glenorchy, or you can complete our Dog Registration Application Form (PDF).

Please return the form in-person to our Customer Service Centre. We will process your application, and give you a dog registration disc which is marked with an individual number linked directly to you.

Your dog must wear the disc attached to its collar at all times.

How to renew the registration

Council mails you a renewal reminder notice in June of each year. If you pay before 31 July you will qualify for a discount.

Registration renewals can be paid in-person at Council’s Customer Service Centre, or by using one of our other payment methods.

Transfer of registration

Dog registration may be transferred from an existing owner to a new owner, and between councils in Tasmania. It is not transferable from one dog to another dog.

It is an offence under section 13 of the dog control act 2000 not to notify Council of a change in registered dog ownership. You are required to notify Council in writing of any transfer of ownership to another person within 14 days. If you have obtained a dog from another person, you are also required to apply to Council to register the dog in to your name within 14 days of receiving the dog.

You can arrange for a dog's registration to be transferred by sending an email to with your name, address, the dog's details and the name and address of the new owner.

You can also complete a change in circumstances form and email, deliver to Council Chambers or mail to PO BOX 103, Glenorchy TAS 7010.

If you have recently obtained a dog, please use the Dog Registration Application Form and return it to Council using any of the methods outlined above.

If you have any further queries, phone Council on (03) 6216 6800.

Unregistered dogs

If you don’t register your dog:

  • you may be served with an on-the-spot fine (currently $163)
  • if you do not pay the fine and do not register your dog, you may be summoned to appear in the Magistrates Court
  • if the court convicts you of keeping an unregistered dog, you may be fined up to $815. The court may also order you to pay Council the registration fee due and any legal cost associated with prosecution
  • if you fail to pay the fines and costs imposed by the court, Council may seek a warrant for non-payment. This will increase the amount that you are required to pay.