Owners of noisy dogs

As a dog owner or person in charge of a dog, it is your responsibility to make sure that your dog does not create a nuisance by noise or otherwise.

Understanding why a dog is barking and what you can do to help it may prevent your dog creating unease among other residents, or complaints being made about your dog.

Please read our “Does Your Dog have a Barking Problem” brochure for barking behaviours, suggestions and legal information.

Complaints to council

If our Animal Management Officers receive a complaint about your dog being noisy, we may visit you at your residence or send you a letter or contact you in another way to inform you of these concerns. Animal Management Officers can also provide suggestions when talking with you, if they know the environment where your dog is housed.

Animal Management Officers may also suggest that you consider seeking professional advice from your vet or an Animal Behaviourist for advice about ways to calm your dog’s barking behaviour.

It is important to note that some breeds of dogs are not suited to certain areas where there is a lot of pedestrian or vehicle traffic or noises.

Animal Management Officers will not usually take enforcement action for potential nuisances until we have firstly informed you of your legal obligations and tried to provide some education or suggestions to you. We will also not take enforcement action until we are satisfied that a nuisance as outlined in the Dog Control Act 2000 has been caused.

It is important to note that it is the owner or person in charge’s responsibility to make sure that dogs kept by them, do not cause a nuisance. The responsibility lies with the owner or the person in charge of the dog.

If we get in contact with you, please take what we say seriously and be open to the fact that your dog may actually be barking too much, even though you may not know it. Taking early action to get on top of any barking problem is best for everyone, and of course your dog too.

If our Animal Management Officers detect that your dog has caused a noise nuisance, you may be issued with an Infringement Notice under the Dog Control Act 2000 and/or be served with an ‘Abatement Notice’, which means you have to stop the noise nuisance , or other nuisance, within a specified time.

If a noise nuisance continues from there on, officers may be required to remove offending dog/s from a property and impound a dog/s, at the owner’s or person in charge’s cost, and commence legal proceedings to resolve the situation. A further Infringement Notice may be issued, of which this penalty is upwards of $600. The court may also make specific orders in relation to a dog.
Please also remember, persistent barking could also mean that your dog is suffering or unhappy, so it is in the interests of all that you control barking problems.

See more information on our page for neighbours of noisy dogs.