Glenorchy City Council recognises that many Glenorchy residents and ratepayers are currently suffering from financial hardship due to the impacts of the COVID-19 crisis.
At the meeting on 30 March 2020, Council voted unanimously to adopt an Interim Community Support Package. As part of that package, Council voted to introduce new guidelines under its current Financial Hardship policy to make it easier for our residents to access immediate relief.
What support is available?
If you are suffering from financial hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and you can’t pay an amount that is due to Council by its due date, you might be eligible for assistance. If you think this is you, then we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
You can apply to Council for one or more of the following:
- more time to pay your rates bill (including all charges that appear on it)
- the removal of penalties and interest that Council has applied to your overdue rates bill
- the waiver (removal) of another fee that that you owe Council (such as the fee for registering your dog), and
- more time to pay a fine that has been issued by Council
Our COVID-19 Financial Hardship Guidelines provide more information about the assistance that Council is offering and when you are eligible.
How do I apply?
Fill in our COVID-19 Financial Hardship Application Form and return it to us by either:
- emailing it to email@example.com, or
- posting it to Glenorchy City Council, PO Box 103, GLENORCHY TAS 7010
Have a question?
If you want any more information about financial assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic, please contact us on (03) 6216 6800
Need more help?
If you are feeling anxious or uneasy about your situation or just need someone to talk to, there is help out there:
- Lifeline: 13 11 14 (24 hours, 7 days)
- Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636 (24 hours, 7days)
- The Tasmanian Government's COVID-19 mental health support page