If your property shares a boundary with a Council-owned house, building or reserve the Council will share the cost of fencing on the boundary. This is in line with the Boundary Fences Act 1908. The responsibility for the cost of fencing between properties is shared between property owners. This is also defined by the Boundary Fences Act 1908.

We are not responsible for enforcing the Act; it is a civil matter to be resolved between both owners.

Council contribution for boundary fences

Before you proceed

If you would like to request fencing co-contribution from Council, you need to gain two (2) written quotes for a 1.5-metre-high treated pine, lapped paling fence with steel posts set in concrete. This is the standard of fence adopted by council and is consistent in residential areas. (for more information, please refer Council’s contribution to boundary fences policy (PDF).

Please submit the quotes and details inclusive of: name, address, and boundary to Council's Property Department via gccmail@gcc.tas.gov.au, or in person at customer service, located at 374 Main Road, Glenorchy.

A Council officer will inspect the fence line to ensure that a new fence is required. A letter advising of Council’s decision accepting the quote and notating contribution to be paid, will be forwarded to you in due course.

If you decide to use an alternative contractor or construct a higher or varied styled fence, the additional cost will be your responsibility.

Important: do not arrange for any fencing work to be undertaken before you have received our approval. We will not contribute to fences that have been erected before approval is received, regardless of the circumstances.

After the fence is built

Once your fence is completed, please contact the Property Department, so that a final inspection can be made. Provided the standard of construction is satisfactory, payment of Council’s contribution into your bank account will be authorised. Please complete the EFT Application Form supplied with letter of approval, and return to Council together with a copy of the contractor's invoice.