Witnesses and signatures

If you need a signature from either a a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace, we can help.

Commissioner for Declarations

Commissioners can do some of the same duties as Justices of the Peace. They can witness signatures to documents and take statutory declarations but they can’t administer, take or receive either an oath, affidavit or affirmation, and they can’t receive a complaint or issue a summons or a warrant.

If you need a Commissioner of Declarations, you can ask at the Customer Service counter.

Justice of the Peace

A Justice of the Peace (JP) is an independent and objective witness to documents people use for:

  • taking an affidavit for use in court
  • taking a statutory declaration
  • certifying a true copy of an original document
  • witnessing wills
  • witnessing applications for probate
  • certifying a person’s identity.

A JP is available at our offices every Monday between 10am and 2pm (excluding public holidays), and appointments are not necessary. There is a Tasmanian Justice of the Peace Society website which lists contact details for JP’s across the state.