We collect rubbish either weekly or fortnightly, depending on what type of property you live in. To confirm your collection day visit our Waste Collection Map and type in your address.
Standard garbage service
Our standard garbage service applies if you live in an individual house, or some of the units in the city. The standard garbage bin is 140 litres, with a dark green lid and is collected fortnightly.
Shared garbage service
If you live in a flat, multi-occupancy property or unit development, you generally share one bin between three units. These bins are stored in a bin enclosure at the entrance of the property; they are 240 litres, have red lids and are collected weekly.
- only Council-issued bins will be emptied
- excess garbage in bags or cartons will not be collected
- bins overflowing, weighing greater than 70kg and/or containing unacceptable material will not be emptied.
What goes in your bin
We will collect:
- disposable nappies
- small broken household items such as china and glassware
- plastic bags, garbage bags and non-recyclable plastic and food packaging
We will NOT collect:
- food scraps and garden waste – these go in your FOGO wheelie bin with the lime green lid (unless you have been approved to be exempt from the FOGO service)
- building materials
- batteries (drop household batteries at the recycling area at the Jackson Street Waste Management Centre)
- chemicals (caustics, acids, thinners/solvents)
- medical waste (sharps)
- heavy metals
- herbicides and pesticides
- dyes and colours
- tyres (can be taken to the Jackson Street Waste Management Centre)
- glues and adhesives
- recyclable packaging (place this in your yellow recycling bin)
Apply for a bin (new properties)
If you’ve just built or moved in to a newly built house or property, you’ll need to apply to Council for a new wheelie bin service.