Today, 11 January, the temperatures are set to soar to 36 degrees. Here are some pointers to managing hot weather and some things to remember.
- Tasmania Fire service has declared a total fire ban in Glenorchy from Monday 11 January 2021 2:00am to Tuesday 12 January 2021 2:00am. For more information head to www.fire.tas.gov.au
- Glenorchy City Council bushland reserves will be closed on Monday 11th January 2021 due to severe fire danger conditions predicted for these areas. The Wellington Park Management Trust has also closed Wellington Park during this period.
- Wellington Park, including The Springs and Pinnacle Road as well as all tracks and trails within the park.
- N.R. Pierce Reserve (within Goat Hills), Poimena Bushland Reserve (Austins Ferry).
- Glenorchy Mountain Bike Park.
- Some metal equipment such as playgrounds, park benches and other metal surfaces may get warm, particularly during the middle of the day. Please take care when touching these surfaces.
- It’s a good idea to drink plenty of water, wear a hat and sunscreen and seek shade where possible if you are spending time outdoors. For more information head to https://www.cancertas.org.au/prevent-cancer/sunsmart/
- Make sure your pets have access to fresh water and shade. Never walk your dog during the heat of the day and avoid hot surfaces, like bitumen, which may burn their footpads. Opt for grassy surfaces instead. For more tips for all pets see https://www.rspcaqld.org.au/blog/pet-care/keeping-all-types-of-pets-cool