Food business regulations

Food safety is very important and we work to avoid safety issues wherever we can.

Every food business in Glenorchy is regularly visited by Environmental Health Officers. They check each business serves safe food by the law. 

We also:

  • regularly inspect food businesses to make sure they follow the Food Act 2003
  • scientifically sample food to check it is safe to eat
  • provide food safety information
  • take part in the Cool Canteen Accreditation Program (Cool CAP) 
  • investigate when people eat food that makes them sick
  • give food safety training to people through our online food safety training tool (external link).

Important ways to keep food safe include:

  • safe temperatures for cooking and storage
  • keeping food areas clean
  • stopping cross contamination
  • washing hands.

If your business is handling food, you can use these food safety resources:

To make selling food safe for everybody there are rules that businesses must follow when it comes to food labelling. You need to consider how you will package and label your food, as people buying your food need to know what’s in it.

View the food labelling information sheet.


If you want to sell food from a building in the Glenorchy area, you need to apply for a fixed premises licence and pay a fee.

Please note:

  • We will let you know what the registration fee is when you apply to register your food business.
  • We need to inspect your kitchen, please get in touch to organise a time.
  • If you want to build a new kitchen, we have some helpful advice in our food business construction guide (PDF).
  • If you are taking over an existing business that sells food, it is a good idea to get us to have a look before you buy. There is a fee, but it could save you money because we will tell you if there are any problems. When you buy a business that sells food, these problems will become your problem.
  • Whether you are taking over an existing food business, you will need to fill in our application forms because you can’t use the old food business licence.

To register a mobile food business, you need to apply for a licence and pay a fee.

Please note:

  • If you have a business that moves around, such as a food van or a food stall, you need to contact your home council, which is the council area where you store your food and cooking equipment.
  • If this is in the Glenorchy area, we will need to inspect your setup.

If you are having a barbeque to raise money for your sports team or charity on a given day, or a market or event that runs for a few weeks or even months, you need to apply for a short-term licence and pay a fee.

For information on how to set up your temporary food business, you can view the Department of Health and Human Service’s stall and equipment guide.

Was this content helpful?