Buying a property

With the diversity across the Glenorchy region, there is something for everyone when it comes to buying property – we have plenty of affordable housing as well as our share of grand old buildings. 

If you want to find out about a property you are interested in, we have access to many old building and plumbing records for properties within the area and if you have written approval from the property owner we can provide them to you. 

Applications to view and obtain copies of these documents can be made using our House Plan Request Form (PDF).

Before you buy it is a good idea to find a property’s Land Information Certificate (or 337 Certificate) before you buy a property – to find out if there is anything you should know, anything outstanding, about the place you are interested in. 

A 337 Certificate will answer questions such as:

  • Have completion certificates been issued for building and plumbing permits?
  • Is there an occupancy permit for the building?
  • Is there any outstanding enforcement on the property?
  • What is the zoning of the site, etc?

For more information about a 337 Certificate you could speak to a solicitor or property conveyancer.

We don’t do building inspections to assess the condition of a building or the quality of building work which has been performed, but you contact a private building inspector or building surveyor to take a look.

If you want to buy, you should make sure there haven’t been any illegal building works, developments or renovations, because if you buy that place you are responsible. 

If you think the property might have illegal buildings or structures, you can get in touch with our Building Officers.