All dogs in Tasmania over the age of six months legally have to be registered.
You have to renew your registration by 31 July each year (and keep a copy of your receipt).
- your dog must wear a collar with its registration disc attached whenever it is in a public place
- you must not conceal or dispose of a dog to evade registration of the dog
- both the old and new owner of a dog must let us know of any change of ownership of the dog within 14 days, use the Change of Circumstances – Dogs Form (PDF) and Dog Registration Application Form
- you must also notify us within 14 days if a dog dies, is lost, or moves to another municipal area. Change of Circumstances – Dogs Form (PDF)
|Dog category||Standard Fee (ex GST)(if paid before 31 July)||Overdue Fee (ex GST)(if paid after 31 July)|
|Non-Desexed (Concession) *||$77.70||$107.70|
|Desexed (Concession) *||$36.30||$66.30|
|Working Dog **||$101.50||$131.50|
|Special Assistance Dog ***||No Fee||No Fee|
|Dangerous Dog – year 1 of declaration||$500||$530|
|Dangerous Dog – year 2 onwards||$200||$230|
* – Concession Fee eligibility is on production of a Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card, Repatriation Health Card or Health Care Card.
** – Working dog owners must satisfy that the dog is a bona fide working dog pursuant to the Dog Control Act 2000.
*** – Special Assistance Dogs includes, guide and hearing dogs as defined by the Guide Dogs and Hearing Dogs Act 1967. For other Special Assistance Dog registrations, the owner must produce evidence that the dog has been trained by an organisation for the specific purpose of performing identifiable physical tasks and behaviours to assist a person with a disability, in order to aid quality of life and/or independence.
How to register your dog
To register your dog, please download and complete our Dog Registration Application Form.
Alternatively, you can get a form from Council’s Customer Service Centre at 374 Main Road, Glenorchy.
Please bring the form in to our Customer Service Centre. We will give you a dog registration disc which is marked with an individual number linked directly to you.
You’ll receive your yearly registration renewals in the mail.
Resources: Your dog and the law flyer (PDF)