All dogs in Tasmania over the age of six months legally have to be registered.
You have to renew your registration by 31 July each year (and keep a copy of your receipt).
- your dog must wear a collar with its registration disc attached whenever it is in a public place
- you must not conceal or dispose of a dog to evade registration of the dog
- both the old and new owner of a dog must let us know of any change of ownership of the dog within 14 days, via email email@example.com or using our Dog Registration Application Form (PDF)
- you must also notify us within 14 days if a dog dies, is lost, or moves to another municipal area.
|Dog category||Standard Fee (ex GST)(if paid before 31 July)||Overdue Fee (ex GST)(if paid after 31 July)|
|Non-Desexed (Concession) *||$64.50||$90.00|
|Desexed (Concession) *||$31.00||$67.50|
|Working Dog **||$91.00||$129.00|
|Guide and Hearing Dog ***||No Fee||No Fee|
* – Concession Fee eligibility is on production of a Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card, Repatriation Health Card or Health Care Card.
** – Working dog owners must satisfy that the dog is a bona fide working dog pursuant to the Dog Control Act 2000.
*** – Guide and Hearing Dogs as defined by the Guide to Dogs and Hearing Dogs Act 1967.
Please note: these fees will be reviewed in March 2021 and will increase before renewals in July 2021 are due.
How to register your dog
To register your dog, please download and complete our Dog Registration Application Form (PDF). Alternatively, you can get a form from Council’s Customer Service Centre at 374 Main Road, Glenorchy.
Please bring the form in to our Customer Service Centre. We will give you a dog registration disc which is marked with an individual number linked directly to you.
You’ll receive your yearly registration renewals in the mail.