The information below will help you understand what you might need to know if your property shares a boundary fence with us.

Boundary Fence Contributions

The Boundary Fences Act 1908 (the Act) sets out the law in relation to boundary fences in Tasmania. Glenorchy City Council will follow its obligations under the Act where a boundary fence adjoins Council property.

The Act does not require Council to contribute to boundary fencing on any Council owned public place. A public place can include roads, footways, public recreation spaces, public open spaces, and public parks, gardens and reserves.

The Glenorchy City Council does not become involved in disputes between neighbours regarding boundary fences as this is a civil matter.

Tasmania Legal Aid provides a useful fact sheet that outlines the responsibilities of each party and the processes to follow for seeking boundary fence contributions:  https://www.legalaid.tas.gov.au/factsheets/boundary-fences/

Before you build

If your property shares a boundary with a Council-owned house, building or land (which is not a public reserve or road), we will share the cost of fencing.

To organise this, you need 2 written quotes for a 1.5-metre-high treated pine, lapped paling fence with steel posts set in concrete.

Please send the quotes and your name, address, and boundary to our Property Department via gccmail@gcc.tas.gov.au, or in person at Council Chambers – 374 Main Road, Glenorchy.

One of our officers will check that we need a new fence and, if we do, we will send a letter accepting the quote and the amount to be paid.

If you decide to use an alternative contractor or build a higher or different style of fence, you need to pay the additional cost.

Important: do not start any fencing work before you get approval for the costs, as we will not pay if you put up the fence before it’s approved.

After you build

Once your fence is completed:

  • complete the EFT Application Form supplied with the letter of approval
  • give us the form and a copy of the invoice
  • arrange for a final inspection to be made 

If the fence is well built, we will transfer our payment into your bank account.