Glenorchy is coming of age and starting to understand who we are and where we are going. We are learning to be proud of where we come from and how to use our diversity, entrepreneurship and determination to show the world what we are made of.
The Greater Glenorchy Plan sets out how we will achieve our vision and create the Glenorchy, Moonah and Claremont we want for 2040. It describes what our people want our cities to look like in 2040. And it provides a precinct plan for each of our cities, proposing where new development will occur, where the green space will be, and how people will move around. Each precinct plan:
- creates places for people, cities that feel welcoming and reflect who we are
- reinforces the importance of each city as a centre for activity
- encourages increased density
- creates connections for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles
- supports job creation and growth of our economy
- promotes a greener Glenorchy
- supports high quality urban design and innovation.
We have proposed some big ideas in these plans, including creating new pedestrian walkways, entries and exits into cities, moving transport hubs and consolidating carparking to create open space, new developments and places for people to enjoy. These plans are visionary. We will use the plans to excite governments and developers to invest in our cities. We will use them as a basis for Council programs. And we will use them to inform our planning scheme and approvals.