Roads and traffic

We own and maintain most of the roads in Glenorchy, and the Department of State Growth owns and maintains the Brooker Highway and Goodwood Road.

Traffic line marking and signs

We arrange all the road line marking in Glenorchy City and install signage, such as parking signs and pedestrian warning signs. We request renewal of line marking from the State Growth department. Yellow ‘No stopping’ line marking and Council parking space lines are maintained through Council.

We also have a policy that sets out when and how directional signs are used in Glenorchy. (Directional signs are signs that point to places, such as hospitals or swimming pools)

View the Roadside Directional Signs Policy (PDF).

Traffic calming

Traffic calming is using things like speed bumps or narrowing of lanes, garden beds and other streetscaping to slow drivers down and make them take care. This helps to create safer streets for cyclists and pedestrians. 

We use traffic data such as speed data, traffic volume and crash records to decide if a road needs traffic calming. 

Traffic lights

The Department of State Growth is responsible for traffic lights (also known as traffic signals). Any faults can be reported on the Traffic Signals Fault Line on 1300 139 933 (free call) or by emailing 

Roads closures

We do close local roads for special events or for construction. 

You can apply for a road closure if you are planning building or construction work. Road closures not for construction e.g markets and events would require and event application to Council. All road closure applications need a traffic management plan prepared by a qualified person. 

Traffic management plans must meet the requirements of Council’s Traffic Management Plans Policy (PDF).

Speeding and hooning

If you see vehicles driving dangerously, report them immediately to the Tasmanian Police on 131 444.