Driveway maintenance

Driveways are considered to be a part of a property, so that means that the property owner is responsible for maintenance of the driveway all the way to the street. This includes the crossover, where it crosses the footpath.


If we are notified that a driveway is damaged in the crossover area, and it may be dangerous to the public, then we will request that the owner to carry out repairs within a specified time frame.


The legislation that guides these rules is Section 35 of the Local Government (Highways) Act 1982 (external link).


Driveway locations

Council permits one standard vehicular access to a property from each road frontage. A second vehicle access may be permitted, however you will need to submit a development application to us (in accordance with Clause E6.7.1 of the Glenorchy Interim Planning Scheme 2015).


Building or altering a driveway

Before altering or constructing a driveway, you must complete a Property Access Works Application (PDF). You will be notified in writing from us if the application is approved or refused.


Construction must be carried out by a Council-registered contractor and the driveway must meet a standard – known as the Urban Roads Typical Driveway standard (PDF).


Concrete infill

In the case of a car scraping as it enters and/or exits a driveway, a concrete infill modification can be made (as shown in the diagram below). The use of metal plates or similar crossing is not permitted. Before you do any work, you must complete and have approved a Property Access Works Application (PDF).