This project has been completed coming in under budget and on-time.
Glenorchy CBD is the area between Terry Street and Barry Street – it is the civic and commercial heart of the City of Glenorchy. The CBD has been fully upgraded injecting new life into the area. We have made the CBD more usable and accessible for pedestrians by minimising the impact of vehicles and providing comfortable street furniture, feature lighting, accessible parking bays, wide pavements and street art.
Council worked alongside the community to ensure that the changes meet the needs of the 140 businesses, as well as the Metro interchange, Glenorchy Library, government and social services, cinema complex and KGV sports stadium. The CBD revitalisation is important to prepare our city for ongoing developments and modernisation of the area.
Key features of the new CBD
- Reduction in the width of the road
- Improved access for residents with mobility issues
- Raised table intersections for speed reduction and safer pedestrian movement
- Lower speed limits
- Street art and sculpture spaces
- High quality street furniture
- Feature lighting
- Widened footpaths to encourage outside dining
- Street trees and eco-friendly garden beds
- Cycling infrastructure
- New parking arrangements – new accessible parking bays