Cats make excellent pets and companions, but are also highly efficient hunters and pose a significant threat to native wildlife.
The State Government Department of Primary Industries, Water and the Environment (DPIPWE) publishes helpful information about cat management in Tasmania on its website, including information about:
● responsible cat ownership
● breeding and selling cats
● the current draft Tasmanian Cat Management Plan.
Visit the DPIWE’s website’s Cat Management webpage (external link)
In Glenorchy, the rules relating to cats and cat ownership are set out in:
● Cat Management Act 2009 (external link)
● Cat Management Regulations 2012 (external link)
● Council’s Animal Management By-Law (No. 1 of 2014) (PDF).
Council does not currently require registration of cats, or have any specific procedures for cat management. However, you may wish to visit our Lost and Stray Animals page in the event that your cat has gone missing or you have found a cat that you believe is lost.