Our youth programs and services:
- have a focus on supporting youth participation
- work collaboratively with service providers, other levels of Government and the broader community to make sure that young people have access to a range of programs and services to develop their full potential
- bring together groups of potential partners, assist groups to gain resources and offer specific expertise on program design and development.
Glenorchy Youth Task Force
The Glenorchy Youth Task Force (GYTF) is involved in issues affecting young people in Glenorchy. It focuses on promoting a positive image of young people in the community and addresses issues such as community safety and youth health and wellbeing (including drug and alcohol use, body image and positive mental health).
The GYTF was established as a special committee of Glenorchy City Council in 1994 and is the longest continuously operating Council-supported youth committee in Australia.
The GYTF is involved in youth camps, forums, inter-generational activities and events such as the annual GIG in the Gardens and RUOK Day.
The GYTF also played a key role in the development of two highly commended programs:
- a binge-drinking awareness resource for young people, Seriously Smashed
- development of a Mental Health Resource for young people in partnership with Anglicare Tasmania, Gr8MYnds.
Youth Action Network Glenorchy
We developed the YANG to work with youth and community services, youth organisations, youth groups and the communities that they service and support.
Since it was developed in 1999, YANG membership has grown to more than 60 youth, community service and representative organisations – working together to ensure effective responses to the needs and issues of young people and youth service providers in the City of Glenorchy. YANG members meet each month.
YANG has five key objectives:
- To identify gaps in service provision for young people in Glenorchy.
- To exchange information on current issues impacting on young people in Glenorchy
- To work collaboratively on strategies to address issues impacting on young people in Glenorchy.
- To identify sources of funding to meet identified service gaps.
- To ensure a coordinated approach to the development and provision of Youth services in Glenorchy.